Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Re: Thinking/Feeling

My husband & I both find the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator stuff fascinating. In fact, learning about our respective types has helped us understand each other better & made our marriage smoother. It's cool, I recommend it. But anyway, that's a huge big broad topic, & today I just want to vent some thoughts on one bit in particular (as you may have guessed by the title). I may need to establish some context for you, though. To put it simply... your brain (& your friend's brain, your first grade teacher's brain, your favorite singer's brain, any brain) has a favorite mode by which it processes information, both incoming & internal. Its favorite is either 'thinking' (y'know, logic & reasons & facts) or 'feeling' (emotions, everything is emotions & has emotions & causes emotions). With me so far? (I'm sure people who already know things about MBTI are shaking their heads at me right now, but whatever.) You are driven more by emotions or facts. You may be somewhere toward the middle perhaps, & that's fascinating, but I just want to make sure you get what I'm talking about.

I am severely on the 'thinking' side of the spectrum. (Which is apparently more rare for women.) My husband is a feeler. (...which is apparently more rare for men.)

Husband & I were watching an episode of a television show, & I was agonizing with one of the characters. The character was right. He was trying to convince the others of what should be done for the best interests of all involved. He had solid reasoning, & he explained things in easy-to-understand terms. He wasn't even being mean about it. But still, no one listened-- they were angry, they didn't want to get past their differences, & they abandoned the whole endeavor. It made me sad that someone could be so clearly right, & yet so ignored! Husband looked at me with a smirk, understanding how I related to that situation, & said "it is more important to be liked than to be right". To which I replied "People should like you because you're right!"
I try to be aware of the feelings of others & if I may be producing negative ones in them, but it is of lesser importance to me than whatever it is that I feel I need to be communicating/doing, & I just can't shake the belief that that is the best & most respectable way for me to live. On the other hand, I love my husband & admire the way that he says things which are nonsense to my brain, but make other people feel good. We're just different, & work better at different sorts of situations.
I say things, in what I feel in the most clear & concise way possible. & then someone takes it the wrong way & gets offended. All I meant was what I said, the exact way that I said it! I had no idea you could be hurt by it! Please just take me literally.

Also, I had a thought on Sunday that I shared on twitter. I was wondering why we teach babies/toddlers animal sounds with such priority. My brain thinks that surely there are other more important things to teach at that age. My best guess was that it's to help develop speech, y'know, practicing sounds. That makes sense.
But then a friend was pointing out that babies are really cute when they make animal sounds, plus many little kids just love animals.
That makes perfect sense, from a feeler standpoint. Those are legitimate reasons. But I never would have come up with that on my own.
& it really made me think... I feel like it could be rather rough for me & any offspring I may have. What perfectly good & healthy things are my brain going to dismiss, just because I find them illogical? What behaviors will my instinct be to squash? Will I be able to find a balance?
I'm not actually all that worried that I'll raise kids who turn into terrible adults. Any kids I ever have will have more influences in their life than just me, & that's a very good thing. I just feel like healthy emotional processing is very important to learn at a young age, & I'm not sure how well I'd be able to handle that, especially if the child is a feeler instead of a thinker.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I take a personality test, I usually end up 75% thinking and I'm pretty sure that my 25% feeling is solely reserved for cute baby animals.

    You bring up some interesting questions that I haven't thought about before. I have had the thoughts that I'll never be "maternal" enough, before I knew about the MBTI, but it all makes sense now in regards to my inclination toward thinking over feeling.

    Very fascinating stuff, indeed.

    ReplyDelete