Thursday, October 17, 2013

An Open Letter to My Husband

Three years ago now, we were FINALLY able to see our wedding as a thing that was going to happen. Everything had finally been settled-- the honeymoon, our apartment, even the emotions of our parents. I'll never forget how sweet & supportive you were that whole summer while I was getting so frustrated about each big & little snag.
I think I told you about the minor break-down I had the morning of the wedding, but I was extra annoyed when I was told "it's just nerves". It wasn't. There was nothing but total peace in my heart about what we were finally about to do. I wasn't even bothered when you showed up with grease on your tie, or when you noticed you forgot to bring my wedding band. We got married, & it was everything I wanted, because all I wanted was to marry you. *high-five*
Marriage has been awesome! You're not late to dates anymore, I can make sure you eat actual food from time to time, you learned to rinse dishes, I get to steal your warmth, you assure me that housework isn't always the number one priority in life... you've shown me that marriage is even cooler than I'd imagined.
I think some of our current struggles are harder than those things we had to learn at first. Some of the day-to-day-to-day-to-day problems are smaller, but get so tedious in repetition. You're getting really good at not seeming too worn out by me being worn out. But I want you to always know that it's still just little things! I am comfortable letting you see me get tired of fighting these little things, because I am comfortable in the foundation of our relationship. You are doing your best, & your best is still impressive to me. I am still won over by your patience & your smile. I love getting to see your strongest & your weakest. I am grateful for each bump in the road because we get to learn through them.
It's been a long summer for both of us... but I can't imagine any of it without you. Actually, this whole year has been a bit of a big deal for me-- ever since that February night, you know the one, I've been working so hard on discovering/embracing how I function & trying to grow & work with it. You've done a lot of that yourself, plus we've been piecing together my growth & your growth... & of course we're still not done. I am so proud of what you've done this year, I am so blessed to have you as my partner & best friend, & I am so excited to have paperwork that binds you to me for the rest of my/your life. We got married young, we're still young, but I'd do it the same way all over again because I love doing life side-by-side with you.
You don't have to clean up your office to be a good husband. You don't have to understand what I'm thinking right away. You've always done what is needed-- you care about me, & show that you're in it for the long haul. I can't thank you enough for that. I can only hope that my love is as evident to you as yours is to me. I'd rather struggle with you than party with anyone else-- & our parties are always better anyway. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. You and Jamie have something special. Keep up the hard work of marriage and you will continue to be blessed (not that I have any authority on the subject since you've been married longer than I have :) )

    ReplyDelete