Tuesday, March 24, 2015

My Earliest Fandoms

There's this really neat thing going around the internet, called 5 Fandom Friday... & I love some of the prompts... but not all of them, & I don't necessarily want to try to follow them week by week, so uh, I'm just going to sometimes refer to the list & steal the prompts for inspiration. Sorrynotsorry.
So, for my first 5 Fandom Friday inspired post, I'm adapting the very first one they ever did, Gateway Fandoms that Made Me Who I am Today.

My Very First Fandoms would I suppose be the things I had around me for longer than I can even remember, things that were there for my older brother already when I showed up...
-Ghostbusters
-TMNT
-Nintendo
-Disney/otherassortedanimatedflicks

But I'd also like to give a shout-out to some of the things I picked up a bit later (pre-teen years), but have been monumental & stuck with me.
-Star Wars (this was introduced to me & my bro at the same time, when the Special Edition was released- I was nine)
-Batman (our grandma laid out a couple of graphic novels with the intent of letting my bro read them, but I got to them first & it kinda changed my life-- I have no memory of what the bro was busy doing while I wandered off & made this turn of events occur, & maybe I should be sorry, but it was an accident & well uh um I can't be sorry for loving Batman)
-Sherlock Holmes (I won a copy of The Adventures & Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes in a Bingo game on a summer vacation with my extended family)

It's interesting to me to look back on this sort of thing, for multiple reasons.
I can see how they influenced my interests & sense of humor from the start.
I feel really blessed to have had so much in common with my brother, in terms of these sorts of things.
...though I had very little truly in common with most girls around me. (Disney was my girliest interest. I liked stuffed animals & Polly Pocket, but not dolls or horses or makeup or boy bands or etc.)
I am the sort of person who feels most happy with what is most familiar, so this list is still very dear & applicable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment